While a lift chair may resemble a regular reclining chair, it offers numerous advantages specifically designed for individuals with mobility limitations. However, purchasing one is not as straightforward as picking up your favourite loaf of bread from the store. Lift chairs are not a one-size-fits-all product and require careful consideration before selecting the right one for your home.
What Type of Lift Chair Should You Choose?
When selecting an electric lift chair, it is crucial to choose one that caters to your specific requirements. Consider the following options:
Two Position Chair:
- Controlled by a single motor that adjusts both the rear and leg rest simultaneously.
- Ideal for individuals who prefer a particular TV viewing angle while reclining.
Three Position Chair:
- Equipped with a single motor enabling the chair to recline up to 45 degrees.
- Perfect for those who need to take short naps in an upright position.
- Allows for comfortable sleeping in the lift chair without the hassle of propping up pillows.
Infinite Position Chair:
- Features two independent motors, providing a wide range of positioning benefits.
- Offers limitless adjustment possibilities tailored to individual needs.
- Can recline almost flat like a bed and elevate the feet slightly above heart level, beneficial for individuals with swollen ankles and legs.
Zero Gravity Chair:
- Incorporates a seat box that raises and tilts.
- Minimal pressure exerted on the spine by lifting the lower back.
- Offers a weightless sensation by distributing body weight evenly.
What Size Should Your Lift Chair Be?
When searching for lift chairs, it’s important to choose one that suits your size. Prioritise comfort by testing it out and assessing how comfortable you feel when seated. Ensure that your feet can rest on the floor while your back is against the backrest. If needed, look for lift chairs with footrest extensions for additional leg support. Lastly, don’t forget to check the maximum weight capacity to ensure it can safely accommodate your weight.
How Much Space Do You Have?
Keep in mind that when selecting a lift chair, it’s essential to consider not only the space it occupies when upright but also the space required for reclining. Before you go on your shopping journey, ensure you have a clear understanding of the available space in your home. Lift chairs tend to be sizable, so it’s crucial to allocate adequate room for them. If space is limited, consider opting for a wall hugger chair instead. These chairs recline forward rather than backward and give you a bit more flexibility if space is an issue.
Consider The Features of the Lift Chair
What one person needs from their electric lift chair, another won’t. Make sure that the chair is perfect for you. Things like heated seats, massage elements, cup holders, etc, should all be extra elements that are taken into consideration before purchase.
Remember, investing time in testing and evaluating different options will ensure that you find a lift chair that provides both comfort and functionality, enhancing your overall quality of life. With the right lift chair in your home, you can enjoy greater mobility and relaxation while meeting your unique requirements.
We Specialise In Everything Mobility
At Equip U, we see a disability as a possibility and have made it our mission to go above and beyond the standard offerings from other retailers.
Our point of difference is that we don’t just stock mobility scooters and other accessories, but we also offer in-home trials to residents who live in Queensland and offer maintenance and servicing for any mobility products. We believe that access to this shouldn’t be limited based on where you live, and being NDIS registered, we can provide funding options as well.
Ultimately, it’s our mission to work with you to bring your vision for improved mobility to life. Should you have any queries about the types of products we offer or how they work, or would like to schedule a free at home product demonstration, please get in touch with us today.