Mobility or health issues can make even the simplest of activities more challenging. Lift chairs are designed to help people go from a seated to a standing position without hurting themselves or putting too much strain on their bodies. They are also great for people who are experiencing joint issues, back pain, and other conditions.
But when it comes to electric or manual, many people don’t know which one to choose. It’s a big decision, so let’s look at both options to make the choice easier for you.
Electric Lift Chair
- Effortless recline and lift: Electric lift chairs are powered by motors that smoothly recline and lift the chair with the push of a button. This feature is especially beneficial for individuals with mobility issues or limited upper body strength, as it eliminates the need for physical exertion. For many people, this might be the reason they need the lift chair in the first place, so this effortless recline makes things easier.
- Customisable positions: Many electric lift chairs offer various reclining positions, allowing you to find the perfect angle for your comfort. Some models even include features like heat and massage options for added relaxation. While this might add to the price tag, it’s something to consider for added comfort, especially if you’ll be using it for long periods.
- Safety: Electric lift chairs often come with safety mechanisms that prevent sudden drops or malfunctions, making them a safer option, especially for seniors or those with a very limited range of mobility.
- Higher cost: Unfortunately, because of ease of use and the added extras, electric lift chairs do come at a higher cost than manual ones. For many people, however, it’s a price they’re willing to pay.
- Affordability: Manual chairs are generally more budget-friendly than electric lift chairs, so they’re great for anyone on a tight budget. A lot of people simply don’t need all the extras that an electric lift chair comes with, and many still have enough mobility to use a manual chair without much issue.
- Portability: These chairs are lightweight and easy to move, making them a versatile option for different rooms and settings.
- Physical effort required: While they might be lighter and more portable, using a manual chair involves manual effort to recline and return to an upright position. This can be challenging for individuals with limited strength or mobility.
- Limited positions: Manual chairs typically have fewer reclining positions and lack the advanced features like heat and massage found in electric lift chairs.
- Potential strain: Continuous manual operation can put strain on your muscles and joints, which may not be suitable for individuals with certain health conditions.
The decision between an electric lift chair and a manual chair boils down to your specific needs and preferences. If you have limited mobility or strength, an electric lift chair provides the most convenience, but if budget is your biggest concern, you might consider a manual chair to avoid the heftier fees. Either one has its pros and cons, so it is more about your needs than about the lift chairs themselves. No matter your choice, always ensure to buy from a reputable source and keep safety as your priority.
A disability should not limit your possibilities
At Equip U, we are committed to promoting independence and mobility for people with disabilities and we have some great options for mobility aids in Townsville. Unlike other retailers, we don't just offer standard products like mobility scooters and accessories. We also provide in-home trials to residents of Queensland, as well as maintenance and servicing for any mobility products. Our NDIS registration allows us to provide funding options so that access to these services isn't limited based on where you live. Our ultimate goal is to work closely with you to bring your vision for improved mobility to life.
If you have any questions about the types of products we offer or how they work, or if you would like to schedule a free at-home product demonstration, please don't hesitate to get in touch with us today.